Sr. Agronomist / Facility Manager
Location: San Juan Bautista, California, USA
Enza Zaden in San Juan Bautista, California is looking for a highly motivated agronomic professional to join our team.
What are you going to do?
As a Sr. Agronomist for Enza Zaden you will ensure commercial crop quality results to facilitate Breeders plant selections at the Research and Development (R&D) station. Using your technical knowledge and experience you will partner with Breeders/Researchers to agree on crop objectives. You will be accountable for cultivation of given crops all over the site (including climate control, crop protection, nutrition, irrigation, pest control and equipment maintenance). You will be accountable for growing small scale trials, and seed productions for multiple crops, including 60 acres of conventional and organic open field crops and 25 research, nursery, and pathology greenhouses. You will ensure all tasks within the crop trials are executed in such a way that it's aligned with research and crop needs. You will be accountable for leading, motivating and coaching assigned team members and overseeing 3rd party labor workers that care for the crops. You are also responsible for local legal requirements, such as safety, inspections, and accident reporting.
You will support the R&D team dynamics at the station, ensuring the culture of the local station is in line with Enza Zaden's values and principles.
You are a dynamic person who takes initiative, recognizes opportunities, and has a creative, analytical, and systematic method of working. You are a natural communicator and connector. You are detail oriented and inquisitive. You are research minded and interested in working in the seed sector. You are organized and follow safety procedures. You have a strong agriculture background, and have developed skills in planning, organization, and strong management skills. You can work independently, but you are also able to work in cross-functional teams. You are a problem solver who can bring teams together.
- You have a bachelor’s degree in horticulture, agronomy, or related area.
- Requires a minimum of 10 years relevant work experience
- Proven success of complex cultivation of multiple crop types (experience in lettuce, tomatoes, watermelon, pepper, onion a plus)
- Responsible for planning and budget
- Must be able to operate and calibrate farm equipment, tractors, setup cultivators, irrigation systems and sprayers.
- Pesticide application license preferred or will need to obtain within 90 days of hire.
- Forklift certification preferred
- Works on weekends and holidays as needed
- Professional working proficiency in Spanish.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Capable of working in extreme temperature conditions in field or greenhouse
- The ability to lift up to 50lbs is required
Enza Zaden is a vegetable breeding company that develops vegetable varieties. We produce and sell the seeds of these varieties all over the world. Both for conventional and organic growers. In order to explain this properly (and as briefly as possible) we have made an animation.
For more than 80 years we are working with the best that nature offers. We support this with state-of-the-art technologies to speed up our breeding process. That is really necessary, because currently the development of a new vegetable variety takes up 6 to 10 years.
The results? Strong, healthy, tasty, and climate-proof vegetable varieties with higher yield per square meter and less need of crop protection products or fertilizer.
Our strength? More than 2000 passionate colleagues worldwide working together on the vegetables of tomorrow. Therefore, we continuously invest in knowledge and skills with our Enza Academy.
Please click HERE to submit your cover letter and resume.
More positions from: Enza Zaden North America, Inc.
Posted from March 26, 2021 until September 10, 2021
SeedQuest reference number: 126056