Temporary R&D Onion Production Supervisor
Location: Tulare County, California, USA
Hazera is a worldwide leader in the breeding, development, production and marketing of hybrid vegetable seed varieties, characterized by advanced research & development, marketing throughout the world, and agro-technical support. Combining decades of experience with state-of-the-art technology, Hazera constantly develops new products that address market needs. Thanks to our core beliefs of expertise, trust, engagement and dynamism, shared by our committed teams we strive to continuously exceed the expectations of our customers. Hazera headquarters are situated in Israel and The Netherlands, with a worldwide presence through our 12 subsidiaries. Hazera is part of the Limagrain Group, an international agri-business based in France. For more information: www.hazera.com.
For our subsidiary in the USA we are looking for a Temporary R&D Onion Production Supervisor – Tulare County, CA, USA (M/F)
Are you an experienced agricultural crew leader with knowledge of vegetable seed and crop production? We are seeking an enthusiastic Temporary Onion Production Supervisor at our Tulare County research facility to join our team. You will be responsible for leading & supervising our field labor crew in the pollination of onion breeding lines and management of the onion crop including irrigation, pesticide and fertilizer maintenance & record-keeping. You will also supervise the seed and bulb harvest process in the field, ensuring accuracy and efficiency in labeling & quality storage. This is a full-time, temporary position reporting to the USA R&D Operations Manager and lasts from April 1st to September 31st of 2020.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Plan, oversee & manage the seed to bulb and bulb to seed process for the short-day onion breeding program
- Actively participate in the planting, crop management, harvest & grading of onion bulbs & seeds through:
- Irrigation, pesticide & nutrient scheduling (with PCA involvement), pollinator management & record-keeping.
- Direction & supervision of contract field labor crew for sowing trials, crop management, harvest of bulbs & seeds, grading & other program-related activities.
- Oversight & direction of contract labor crew to process received and harvested seeds, and to process & grade onion bulbs.
- Prioritize safety in the use and storage of chemicals, equipment and tools, vehicle operations and all activities conducted on behalf of Hazera.
- Management of onion seed production, inventory & storage, as well as organization and storage of onion bulbs to maintain high quality.
- Use, maintain & secure storage of equipment including forklifts, gators, ATVs, tractors, towing trucks & large trailers
- Support breeding and management through the identification and communication of areas for process or safety improvement.
- Provide support for breeder trials and visits of Product Managers and Breeders in your territory.
- Associate’s degree (or 2-years of BS degree) in agriculture or a related field; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- At least 3 years’ experience in vegetable crop production with a least 1 season of experience with seed crop production.
- Current PAL (Pesticide Applicator’s License) and forklift certification
- Bilingual ability in English and Spanish is required
- 2+ years’ experience managing small groups of 3 persons or more
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office, Outlook and Skype
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record; willing to travel via vehicle within California
- Ability to work in conditions including:
- Lifting up to 50lbs unassisted for brief periods of time
- Heat in excess of 90°F (32°C) or cold in excess of 45°F (7°C)
- Noise from machinery including seed & onion bulb processing equipment, tractors, vehicles, duct collection & air compression systems
- Exposure to insects such as flies & bees, amongst others
- Potential exposure to chemicals used in agricultural production such as fertilizers, pesticides & cleaning supplies, amongst others
- Standing on hard surfaces for long periods of time; bending or squatting
- Potential exposure to dirt, dust or other particulate from the field or from seed or plant material
If you are enthusiastic to join a growing organization, please send us a letter of motivation and a detailed resume, preferably by e-mail to: email@example.com.
Working at Hazera means contributing in a professional way to the growth of our business, in an informal, international environment. We are customer and market oriented and teamwork is important. Other characteristics of our organization are openness, flexibility and orientation on results. We focus on employee development with consideration and respect for individual needs. That’s why it's good to work at Hazera!
More positions from: Hazera Seeds USA Inc.
Posted from March 23, 2020 until September 23, 2020
SeedQuest reference number: 115177