Location: Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
We are the world's leading chemical company because we offer intelligent solutions for our customers and for a sustainable future. We link and develop people with diverse talents all over the world. For you, this means a variety of ways to advance. Not only your performance but also your personality matter to us.
At BASF, careers develop from opportunities. BASF - the Chemical Company - consolidated its plant biotechnology activities in BASF Plant Science in 1998. Today, about 700 employees are working to optimize crops for more efficient agriculture, renewable raw materials and healthier nutrition.
We are currently looking for a Plant Biologist. The Plant Biologist will be a member of the Crop Pipeline function within the BASF Plant Science organization. This team performs critical activities necessary to advance our plant biotechnology projects from idea to marketplace as quickly and effectively as possible. These research and development projects focus on enhancing crop performance, productivity, nutritional value, and overall plant health. BASF Plant Science is seeking to appoint a Plant Biologist for its Research Triangle Park, NC location. The Plant Biologist will work as part of a team that implements novel phenotypic screens in growth chambers, greenhouse, and field for crop-based gene discovery research. The individual will work closely with the project teams in developing strategies and methodologies in the area of measuring phenotypic performance and will lead the implementation of work plans within the Crop Phenotyping group. The incumbent will have practical experience in leading projects in growth chambers, greenhouses, and/or field settings, developing experimental designs, and performing physiological or phenotypic assays. Outstanding communication skills are a must.
- PhD degree in Plant Biology, Plant Genetics, Plant Physiology or related field -OR- MS degree in Plant Biology, Plant Genetics, Plant Physiology or related field with 4 years of experience in conducting independent research -OR- BS degree in Plant Biology, Plant Genetics, Plant Physiology or related field with 7 years of experience in conducting independent research.
- Demonstrated experience originating novel scientific hypotheses in plant biology, and developing assays to test those hypotheses.
- Experience analyzing and interpreting phenotypic data on plants.
- Demonstrated experience designing experiments and measuring plant performance.
- Willingness to work in challenging environmental conditions. (i.e. heat, cold, humidity and wet)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong leadership and decision making skills.
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Required to travel/work 25% of the time at BASF field stations.
- Demonstrated experience in characterizing phenotypic differences in genetically variable plant populations, e.g. mutant populations, transgenic populations, natural accessions, or cultivars of model and/or crop species.
- Experience with a large number of physiological or phenotypic assays, and their design, development and implementation.
- A strong background in high-throughput phenotyping.
- A strong understanding of genetics and molecular biology.
- Experience coaching and/or mentoring others.
This position is within a job family and will be filled at a level applicable to the incumbent's qualifications.
To apply, please follow this link: http://jobs.basf.us/job/Research-Triangle-Pa-Plant-Biologist-Job-NC-27701/1972538/
More positions from: BASF Plant Science
Posted from July 9, 2012 until January 9, 2013
SeedQuest reference number: 28222