Soy Pathology Lead
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Monsanto seeks a Soy Pathology Lead with a solid foundation in both plant pathology and experience in breeding for disease resistance in crops.
The selected candidate will join the agronomic traits division of soybean breeding, which has the dual purpose of screening commercial and pre-commercial soybean lines for reaction to various diseases, pests, and abiotic stresses, and prepares for emerging threats by developing new field or growth chamber assays, discovering novel sources of resistance in soybean, and collaborating with other functions to map and introgress the sources of resistance into high-yielding soybean lines. The incumbent will direct these discovery efforts in plant pathology in the team, working on such projects as developing and phenotyping populations for QTL and fine-mapping of disease resistance , PCR-based assay development, and isolating DNA from pathotypes for DNA sequencing. The successful candidate will interact with the field pathology, entomology/nematology, and abiotic stress groups within the agronomic traits division, with other internal stakeholders across different divisions, as well as with external academic collaborators to accomplish the goal of delivering disease resistance or tolerance in elite varieties.
- PhD in Plant Breeding/Pathology and a minimum of 5 years experience
- Experience in molecular techniques such as PCR, sequencing, and marker-assisted selection, as well as the application of these tools within a breeding program
- Strong results orientation, articulate communication skills, and the ability to coordinate efforts across diverse groups of people as the Soy Pathology Lead will direct a multidisciplinary team of individuals
- The ability to follow through on goals, coordinate multiple projects and priorities at the same time, and create a safe and productive work environment for direct reports are crucial
- Familiarity with major crop pathogens and general knowledge of row crop breeding and cultivation is desired
To apply for this position, copy/paste the following URL into your browser:
More positions from: Monsanto Company
Posted from May 16, 2012 until November 16, 2012
SeedQuest reference number: 26949